Tennis: Medvedev puts all the pressure on Djokovic
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
World No 1 Novak Djokovic is looking to make history as he takes on second seed Daniil Medvedev in the US Open final. The Serb can become the first man in 52 years to complete the elusive Calendar Grand Slam by winning the title in Flushing Meadows. Victory would also see Djokovic overtake his long-time rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for the most Major titles ever won by a male player with 21.
Djokovic has been the favourite to win the US Open throughout the tournament but has found himself struggling at times, dropping at least one set in five of his six matches en route to the final.
The top seed has already secured titles at the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon so far this year, and could become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four Grand Slams in a single season.
He will have a tough test in Medvedev, who has only dropped one set across his six matches so far in Flushing Meadows, and has an incredible 34-5 win-loss record on hard courts so far this year.
The Serb currently leads their head-to-head by five wins to three losses, with their most recent encounter coming in the Australian Open final earlier this year, where Djokovic secured a routine 7-5 6-2 6-2 victory to win the tournament.
However, Medvedev has won three of their last five matches, including a 6-3 6-3 victory over the world No 1 during the round-robin stages of last year’s Nitto ATP Finals, where the 25-year-old picked up the title.
Novak Djokovic vs Daniil Medvedev LIVE
- Novak Djokovic can complete the Calendar Grand Slam by winning the US Open
- Daniil Medvedev is playing in his third Grand Slam final, and is looking for his first Major title
- Djokovic is also vying for a record 21st Grand Slam title to surpass the current record of 20, which he shares with Federer and Nadal.
- They are the top two seeds in Flushing Meadows
- Djokovic leads the head-to-head by five wins to three losses
- The 34-year-old won their most recent encounter – another hard court Grand Slam final at the Australian Open earlier this year
- The Russian made his maiden Grand Slam final at the US Open two years ago, coming from two-sets-down to force a decider before losing to Nadal
8.30pm: Good evening and welcome to Express Sport’s live coverage of the US Open final as Novak Djokovic looks to complete the Calendar Grand Slam by winning the US Open title.
The world No 1 could also become the most decorated male player in history at Grand Slam level, as a win tonight would see him reach 21 Major titles, surpassing his rivals Federer and Nadal.
Meanwhile, Daniil Medvedev is looking for his first-ever Slam title in what is his third final at this level.
The Russian came back from two-sets-down to force a decider against Nadal during his maiden Major final at the US Open two years ago but ultimately suffered defeat, while Djokovic handed him a straight-sets loss in the Australian Open final at the start of the year.
Source: Read Full Article