We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Boris Becker has claimed that he is in discussions with the BBC over resuming his commentary role. The three-time Wimbledon champion had long been a part of the tournament coverage but missed the event last year after being imprisoned for 30 months, serving just eight. After being released early in December he resumed his duties at Eurosport and is now hoping to return to the BBC too.
Becker hit headlines last year when he was found guilty of four charges under the Insolvency Act in relation to his bankruptcy and sentenced to 30 months in prison. The six-time Major champion managed to serve just eight before he was released and deported back to Germany under a fast-track scheme for foreign nationals.
As part of the scheme, the German reportedly cannot apply to enter the UK for 10 years – a rule that originally threw his BBC role into doubt. But Becker has now claimed that he is in talks with the British broadcaster after already resuming his other commentary role at Eurosport.
It comes as the former world No 1 told the Telegraph that he was hoping to “re-establish” his personal brand. “I’m one of many who have to work for a living, and I’m not ashamed of that. I’m planning to re-establish brand Boris Becker, because that ultimately pays the bills,” Becker said.
Rafa Nadal changes training plan to take it to Djokovic at French Open [LATEST]
And so far it has worked, as his sponsors have stuck by him while he also returned to his punditry role at Eurosport during the Australian Open, working from a studio in Germany. According to Becker, discussions with the BBC have also “restarted”, with Wimbledon now less than four months away.
It remains to be seen whether the discussions materialise, but it is likely Becker will have to work remotely while he cannot return to Britain following his imprisonment and deportation. While it has widely been reported that it could be 10 years before he can apply to enter the country again, the Telegraph noted that “Becker is unable to take the risk of visiting Britain until his licence runs out in October 2024.”
Tsurenko’s withdrawal ‘more than politics’ as Sabalenka responds [RESPONSE]
Djokovic officially gives up on Miami Open after ‘trying everything’ [UPDATE]
Novak Djokovic ’empty’ after ban and ‘toxic’ chat – 5 controversies [FEATURE]
If the retired tennis legend can return to the country at the end of 2024, it means he will only miss two more editions of the Championships at Wimbledon. While there has not yet been any confirmation from the BBC over Becker’s broadcasting future with them, the former world No 1 will be back on screens in a different way soon.
Becker is the subject of a new two-part documentary series on Apple TV+ titled Boom! Boom! The World vs Boris Becker, set to drop on April 7. The show is set to follow the 55-year-old over a three-year period including his highly-publicised trial and features interviews with the likes of Novak Djokovic and John McEnroe.
Express Sport has reached out to the BBC for confirmation of Becker’s claims.
Source: Read Full Article