Ronaldo's agent Mendes defends Juventus star after Ballon d'Or defeat

‘He is the best player in history, and you know it!’: Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes passionately defends Juventus star following Ballon d’Or defeat by Lionel Messi

  • Lionel Messi surpassed Cristiano Ronaldo by winning his sixth Ballon d’Or
  • Ronaldo snubbed the ceremony in Paris in favour of another event in Milan
  • His agent, Jorge Mendes, told reporters Ronaldo is ‘the best player in history’ 
  • Ronaldo came third in voting behind Liverpool ace Virgil van Dijk and Messi 

Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes insists the Portuguese star is the ‘best player in history’ as he passionately defended him in the wake of his Ballon d’Or defeat to rival Lionel Messi. 

Ronaldo, who came third overall in voting behind Messi and Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk, snubbed the Paris ceremony on a night where the Barcelona star won a record-breaking sixth title to go ahead of Ronaldo in the overall standings. 

And while Ronaldo was surpassed by Messi as he picked up the 2018-19 Serie A Player of the Year award at a gala event in Milan, his agent Mendes gave an impassioned defence to reporters as to why his client remains the best ever.   

Cristiano Ronaldo has been described as ‘the best player in history,’ by his agent Jorge Mendes

His comments came after Ronaldo was surpassed to six Ballon d’Or awards by Lionel Messi

‘Cristiano is the best player in history, and you know it!’ Mendes said at the Gran Gala del Calcio event in Milan on Monday. 

It was Messi’s first Ballon d’Or success since 2015 with Ronaldo and former Real Madrid team-mate Luka Modric winning in the last three years. 

Modric surprisingly took the award ahead of Ronaldo last season and after Mendes’ defence, Ronaldo’s Juventus team-mate Giorgio Chiellini chipped in to suggest that the Portuguese should already have claimed his sixth crown ahead of Messi. 

Ronaldo snubbed the awards to collect the 2018-19 Serie A Player of the Year award in Milan

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, the Juventus captain said:  ‘Ronaldo was really robbed of the Ballon d’Or last season, when Real Madrid decided to make sure he couldn’t win it and that was really weird.

‘This season, it was more balanced. With all due respect, Modric even in his best season of his career didn’t deserve it. That was a signal from Real Madrid, as they wanted to stop Ronaldo winning it.

‘He won the Champions League, but by that logic, (Liverpool defender Virgil) Van Dijk should’ve won it this year, or last year (Antoine) Griezmann, (Paul) Pogba or (Kylian) Mbappe for doing extraordinary things at the World Cup. Modric made no sense.’

The 34-year-old Juventus star has made an indifferent start to the new campaign, with seven goals and two assists across all competitions for the Italian champions.   

Messi was all smiles as he posed next to all six Ballon d’Or awards won across his career to date




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article