Monaco star Benoit Badiashile says he made ‘right decision’ to turn down Manchester United

AS Monaco centre-back Benoit Badiashile has confirmed an approach for his services last summer from Manchester United, but reaffirmed that he was right to turn down the Red Devils.

It was widely reported ahead of the season that the Old Trafford club were searching for a potential new partner at the back for club captain Harry Maguire, though they ultimately did not add to the squad in that area of the pitch.

While United have largely fared better than expectations, sitting in second place in the Premier League, there remain question marks over a defence which ranks only ninth by goals conceded this season and has been, as a unit, plagued by errors.

READ MORE: Premier League fixtures and table – all matches by date and kick-off time

Badiashile, meanwhile, has been a regular with Monaco this term, helping them to fourth in the Ligue 1 table including a 2-0 win over reigning champions PSG on Sunday night – and he say he has no regrets over turning down the transfer.

“It was the right choice. First off is that I have not enjoyed good seasons since I have been at Monaco,” he told RMC Sport.

“We played to stay up and so now I am really experiencing being at the top of the table and I think that continuing with the club that trained me was the right decision and this is being proved by the season that we are having.

Independent Football Newsletter

Get the latest football headlines direct to your inbox twice a week

Read our privacy notice

Independent Football Newsletter

Get the latest football headlines direct to your inbox twice a week

Read our privacy notice

“No [regrets], not at all.”

United’s first-choice pairing has been Maguire and Victor Lindelof, though the Swedish defender has had his issues with injury at times.

Eric Bailly has also been a regular option, with Axel Tuanzebe the fourth choice. Phil Jones has been injured all season long, while Timothy Fosu-Mensah departed in January and Marcos Rojo followed him out the door at the start of February.

Badiashile has this season progressed into the France Under-21 set-up, with the 19-year-old having played more than 70 first-team games for Monaco so far.

Source: Read Full Article