Derby 1-1 Cardiff: Glatzel penalty cancels out Malone’s early opener

Derby 1-1 Cardiff: Robert Glatzel penalty cancels out Scott Malone’s early opener to share the spoils

  • Pride Park was evacuated half-an-hour before kick-off on Friday night
  • Cardiff fans set off smoke flares on the away concourse before the game
  • Draw means Derby have won just one of their opening seven league games 

Pride Park was evacuated half-an-hour before kick-off when Cardiff fans set off smoke flares on the away concourse.

But it’s Derby’s season that refuses to ignite as they were once again held to a draw – meaning it’s still just the one Championship victory this season for Phillip Cocu’s stuttering side.

This time a double dose of penalty pain from referee Darren England coupled to their own sloppiness in defence and lack of clinical finishing saw two points dropped. 

Robert Glatzel (right) celebrates with his team-mates after scoring from the penalty spot

Glatzel fires home from 12 yards out to draw Cardiff level against Derby at Pride Park

Scott Malone celebrates with team-mate Martyn Waghorn after his early strike on Friday


Derby: Roos, Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Malone, Huddlestone, Bielik, Waghorn, Holmes (Jozefzoon 81), Lawrence, Marriott (Martin 86)

Subs not used: Paterson, Dowell, Hamer, Davies, Knight

Goalscorers: Malone 6

Booked: Keogh, Lawrence

Cardiff: Smithies, Peltier, Morrison, Flint, Bennett, Bacuna, Ralls, Whyte (Mendez-Laing 60), Paterson, Josh Murphy (Hoilett 60), Glatzel (Bogle 89)

Subs not used: Vaulks, Vassell, Nelson, Day

Goalscorers: Glatzel 19 pen

Booked: Peltier, Flint

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 25,873

Season at a glance



At this rate, Wayne Rooney’s arrival in January cannot come soon enough.

There was a surreal start to the evening when emergency messages blared out over the PA system, leaving thousands of bemused fans milling about in the car parks.

While the players’ warm-ups were briefly interrupted, there was thankfully no delay to the kick-off.

And there was certainly no delay about Derby when the action got underway as they led inside six minutes.

The goal was a simple tap-in for Scott Malone in the end but followed a game of pinball inside the Cardiff box with Duane Holmes the flipper that initially fed the ball in following a surge down the right.

Amid the madness, Jack Marriott saw his effort blocked before Alex Smithies saved low down from Tom Huddlestone. 

Martyn Waghorn bumped the ball loose again and Malone tucked home against his old club. 

Cardiff goalkeeper Alex Smithies collects the ball as Derby’s Jack Marriott looks to pounce

Derby’s Florian Jozefzoon battles for the ball alongside Cardiff’s Lee Peltier

The omens were very good for Derby at this stage – they hadn’t lost in their last 50 matches in which they’d taken the lead, winning 35 of them.

But their advantage proved short-lived, the Rams gifting Cardiff a route back into the contest. 

As the ball bounced across the Derby box, captain Richard Keogh hauled down Robert Glatzel and referee Darren England pointed to the spot.

It was especially galling for Derby given that England had waved away appeals down the other end moments earlier when Joe Bennett appeared to clip Waghorn.

Glatzel made no mistake from 12 yards, placing the ball into the bottom corner, just beyond the reach of Kelle Roos for his first goal since joining the Bluebirds from German club Heidenheim in July.

Both teams were willing to attack when the opportunity arose. For Derby, Malone found the arms of Smithies when the ball sat up invitingly for him 30 yards out.

And Cardiff almost benefitted from Derby largesse again on two occasions late in the half. They gave the ball away to all Josh Murphy to cross for Sean Morrison, but his header was easy for Roos, who then pushed out a follow-up by Joe Ralls.

Derby’s Krystian Bielik, who looked threatening with his driving runs through midfield early on but less steady when pushed back into defence, deflected a Morrison long throw onto his own post.

Fans were evacuated from the stadium before kick-off but it proved to be a false alarm

Derby came back out with renewed impetus and Marriott’s curled shot from 20 yards bounced back off the crossbar with Smithies beaten.

Waghorn then danced his way through the heart of the Cardiff defence only to be denied by a brave Smithies save, the rebound not quite falling the way of Marriott.

Derby’s No 9 had the measure of the Cardiff defence and Waghorn again worked space to place a shot narrowly wide just before the hour.

Keogh was almost the architect of Derby’s downfall again when he presented the ball to Leandro Bacuna, who twisted and turned into shooting range but couldn’t find enough power.

Tom Lawrence had struggled to find his best form but he was suddenly involved when turning a shot over in the closing 10 minutes.

But Cardiff continued to push and Glatzel’s header was hacked off the line by Matthew Clarke as they chased a winner, before substitute Junior Hoilett guided a shot wide in injury time.

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article