Chelsea were left red-faced during negotiations over a possible deal for Michael Olise. The Blues believed they had activated the Crystal Palace star’s release clause but reports claim that was not the case.
Roy Hodgson to help Michael Olise move ‘to another level’ after snubbing Chelsea
Chelsea are closing in on having spent £1billion under the ownership of Todd Boehly. The American only bought the Stamford Bridge club last year but has splashed out huge amounts in every transfer window since.
Chelsea completed deals for Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia last week. Olise looked set to follow the pair through the doors at Cobham.
However, Palace chairman Steve Parish unexpectedly announced that the Frenchman had signed a new four-year contract. Details have now emerged as to what happened as Chelsea failed to land a top attacking target.
Read more… Rishi Sunak prompts backlash with tweet after England lose World Cup final
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Athletic says that Chelsea attempted to activate Olise’s release clause on August 13. There was an agreement in the deal that interested clubs had to activate the clause at least 14 days before the end of the transfer window.
It was reported that the clause was set at £35m and Chelsea had agreed to pay that amount. But the Athletic now says that wasn’t the case.
It is now claimed that Chelsea were entitled to know a clause existed but did not know the conditions of how to activate it. An interested club could not activate the clause but it was Olise’s responsibility to inform Palace of interest in him and Chelsea’s intention to pay his clause.
Spain star shares feelings after outrage as FA chief kisses her at World Cup[INTERVIEW]
England forced to play World Cup final in blue as players raise period worries[REPORT]
Arsenal victims of their own success as Mikel Arteta misses out on £26m transfer[COMMENT]
Olise then had to make Chelsea aware of how much they needed to pay, with the report claiming the figure was in fact significantly larger than £35m. Chelsea would have had to notify Palace, via Olise, that they intended to pay the clause in full.
Chelsea were left red-faced as they instead went straight to Palace. They were ignored by their London rivals as Palace felt the process stated in Olise’s contract was not followed.
Olise will now end the transfer window at Selhurst Park. The 21-year-old joined the Eagles in the summer of 2021 and registered 11 assists in the Premier League last season.
The winger has missed the start of the new campaign due to the serious hamstring injury he suffered while on duty with the France under-21 side in June. Palace boss Roy Hodgson was unable to give a positive update on his fitness earlier this month, only confirming that Olise will be out for a “considerable period” of time.
Source: Read Full Article