Fernando Alonso crash: F1 star ‘conscious and well’ in hospital say Alpine after accident
F1 

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

Formula One driver Fernando Alonso has been taken to hospital after being involved in a road accident in Switzerland, but his team Alpine have confirmed the Spaniard is “conscious and well in himself”. It is unknown as of yet what injuries Alonso has suffered.

The 39-year-old is said to have been hit by a car while out training on his bicycle near Lugano and will undergo further examinations in the coming days.

A statement read: “Alpine F1 Team can confirm that Fernando Alonso has been involved in a road accident while cycling in Switzerland.

“Fernando is conscious and well in himself and is awaiting further medical examinations tomorrow morning.

“Alpine F1 Team will not make any further statement at this point in time. Further updates will be given tomorrow.”

The two-time world champion has been away from F1 since the end of the 2018 season, when he left McLaren.

But he is due to return with Alpine, rebranded from Renault, in the upcoming 2021 season provided he recovers well from his accident.

This year’s 23-race F1 calendar gets underway in just six weeks’ time at the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 28.

Reports from Italian outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport have suggested Alonso may have suffered fractures after initial X-rays and if he has, could miss the start of the new season.

If those reports turn out to be true, it remains to be seen how Alpine – who also have Esteban Ocon racing alongside Alonso – will replace the former Ferrari driver if they are forced to do so.

Alpine have not yet formally announced a reserve driver who could fill in for Alonso, who has 32 career Grands Prix victories and 97 podium finishes.

Sergey Sirotkin was the team’s reserve in 2020 with the Russian having raced for Williams in 2018.

Alpine are set to unveil their car for the new season at the start of March and Alonso was due to get his first experience behind the wheel when pre-season testing begins in Bahrain on March 12.

His collision however leaves doubts over his fitness not just for testing at the Bahrain International Circuit next month but also for the first race of the season in the Middle East.

Speaking last month, Alonso told RAI Sport ahead of his return to F1: “F1 doesn’t seem to have changed much. Same people, same rules. Who was strong two years ago is strong today.

“Instead, I’m a bit different. I wanted new challenges, I had the time to face them and I think I have improved in my body and in my head. And I’m more relaxed ahead of what I expect from myself.

“I think I am more mature than ever before. Tests have shown that I am as fit as in 2010. I analysed how I was driving to correct any defects, my speed remained intact, the experiences at Le Mans and Indy provided useful data.

“Renault managed three podiums in 2020, I would like to improve the balance sheet. For a year. Then, much more…

“What am I afraid of? A calendar with 23 races. Heavy. It means having about 20 days off in a year.

Source: Read Full Article