Conor McGregor is ready to risk a repeat of his rematch defeat by Dustin Poirier by going on the offensive in their trilogy fight.
The Irishman had vowed to stop his lightweight rival inside 60 seconds when they met in January.
But on the night he struggled to deal with his opponent's calf kicks and was himself stopped in the second round.
McGregor later admitted that his boxing-heavy style contributed to his defeat and vowed to reign it in.
But now he has promised Poirier he will be waiting for him in the centre of the cage when they clash again on July 10.
After the American had said: "I never slack, I'll meet you in the middle of the octagon July 10", McGregor responded: "Good to hear Dustin, I hope so as last time you backed up and shot inside the first 30 seconds.
"I’ll be in the middle from the very go if you want it. You know that. I’ll be ready for the tactics this time too though. See you in there."
Poirier has accepted a third fight with McGregor over a shot at the now vacant 155lb title.
Khabib Nurmagomedov confirmed his retirement last month and his old belt will be on the line on May 15 when Michael Chandler takes on Charles Oliveira.
Sign up for our boxing newsletter!
Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend's fights and, more importantly, what's next for the winners and losers.
Signing up is easy, just click this link, enter your email address and select 'Boxing' from the list.
The winner of McGregor's rubber match with Poirier will likely be propelled into a title shot towards the end of the year.
And Chandler expects to be facing McGregor when the dust settles.
“I still lean towards Conor,” he said. “I think Conor still has the power in those hands and I think you’re going to see Conor make some adjustments as we have seen, when he has taken losses, he’s always come back a better fighter; a more skilled fighter, a more prepared fighter.
“We’re going to see whenever that fight takes place. Either way, I’m excited to watch that one.”
Source: Read Full Article