Police in the Dominican Republic have arrested a second suspect in connection with the Sunday night shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz, according to multiple reports.
The Associated Press reported that Julieta Tejeda, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor’s office in the Dominican, told reporters Tuesday night that a suspect had been taken into custody. She provided no other details. It is not known whether police consider the arrested man the shooter.
News of the second arrest broke as the first suspect, Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, was making an initial court apprearance in Santo Domingo. ABC News reported that Feliz Garcia was charged with attempted homicide, criminal association and intentionally causing injury through the use of an illegal firearm.
The Boston Globe reported that police wearing helmets and bulletproof vests escorted Feliz Garcia to his appearance before a judge.
Feliz Garcia is suspected of being an accomplice in the shooting; he allegedly drove the assailant on his motorcycle to a club where Ortiz was socializing. ABC News, citing a spokesman for the Dominican national police, reported that Feliz Garcia confessed to having a role in the shooting. His attorneys and his mother say he was an unwitting participant.
Attorney Deivi Solano told the Globe that his client is a motorcycle taxi driver who did not know he was transporting someone who would attack Ortiz.
“This boy did not do anything,” the Globe quoted Solano as saying. “He was totally surprised by what happened.”
Another attorney, Bunel Ramirez Meran, told ABC News his client is innocent.
Feliz Garcia’s mother, Justina Garcia, told El Caribe (later reported by the New York Post) that her son is a fan of Ortiz and was put “in the middle” of the ambush. Bystanders assaulted Feliz Garcia as he tried to flee from his motorcycle after the shooting.
“I keep thinking, how is he? Is he alone? Is he hungry?” Garcia told the Globe in Spanish. “The whole world is against him.”
Ortiz, 43, underwent emergency surgery in the Dominican on Sunday night. He was transported by air ambulance Monday to Boston, where he underwent a second, exploratory surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital. Surgeons have reportedly removed Ortiz’s gall bladder and parts of his intestines and colon. Leo Lopez, an Ortiz spokesman and family friend, said Ortiz walked several steps in the hospital Tuesday.
Source: Read Full Article