Eddie Hearn laughs off Tyson Fury’s retirement plea as he eyes December AJ date

Offbeat news from the world of sport

Eddie Hearn has dismissed Tyson Fury's claim he has hung up his gloves for good and says he's confident he will face the winner of Anthony Joshua against Oleksandr Usyk in December.

The WBC will give their heavyweight champion time to decide his future after his knockout win over Dillian Whyte last month.

Usyk is set to defend the WBA, IBF and WBO titles against Joshua in their much-anticipated rematch on July 23 in Saudi Arabia. Then Hearn wants to see Fury in the ring with the winner before the end of 2022.

"It's very easy for Tyson to go back and go, 'Look, I'm just gonna have some time now. Let me just think about what I'm going to do. I know I said that after the fight, but let me have some time'," Hearn told IFLTV.

"And they shouldn't strip him, of course not. He doesn't have to retire, he doesn't have to give them a decision when his next fight is just yet. He's just boxed. So everything is done properly, but, of course, we all know he's not retiring. So I expect to see him fight the winner of Joshua-Usyk in December."

The Gypsy King is currently on holiday with wife Paris and their children and has not yet officially given up the WBC crown. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has no plans to put pressure on the Brit to make a decision. He said: "I just received a very beautiful video from Tyson with his father and his family while on vacation. We spoke and we're going to be speaking in the near future.

"We will give him the time he needs. I do not like to speculate. I would rather wait to give him his due time for his holiday. The WBC will certainly support him, whatever he decides. If he thinks it's time to hang up the gloves, enjoy life and be a successful family man and have a great future, we will support him. If he decides to continue fighting, we will support him."

Deontay Wilder could be set for a shock chance to regain the WBC heavyweight crown if Fury sticks to his retirement claim

The American is also considering his future in the sport but he remains the No 1 ranked heavyweight with the WBC. Fury is adamant he is walking away from the sport and if he backs up his threat to quit then the title will become vacant.

WBC president Sulaiman has opened the door for Wilder to fight for the vacant belt, should his rival Fury vacate. He told Sky Sports: "Certainly. Because he is the No 1-ranked contender in the division. I spoke to him a couple of months ago, he is doing great and he is looking forward to resuming his boxing career."

  • Boxing

Source: Read Full Article